Re: AAARGH - Re: cdrecord

On at 10:37 on Wed 17 Jan, John Griffiths wrote:
> >> In /etc/lilo.conf:
> >>
> >> append="hdX=ide-scsi" # where X is the letter assigned to that unit
> >>
> >> In /etc/modutils/local:
> >>
> >> alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi # assuming you don't have any /real/ SCSI cards
> >>
> >> Run lilo, reboot, and run `cdrecord -scanbus'; your drive should show up.  YMMV.
> >
> >	Also to generate the alias in modules.conf you run update-modules.
> >If the kernel config shows IDECD is a module then you don't need to append
> >in lilo.conf.You can rmmod ide-cd if its loaded.
> >--
>
> I've been reading this with a lot of interest as i'm a bout to receive a nice new AOpen ATAPI CD-RW.
>
> there seems to be conflicting info going around. Can SCSI emulation be done with modules or does it require a re-compile?
>
> when stupid people like me are asking (you can tell because our questions are like this one!) its safe to assume we are running a stock kernel.

	With a stock kernel you don't need to recompile.You will have
modules: ide-scsi, sr_mod, sg. If i recall scsi_mod is compiled in the
kernel.These are all you need for scsi-emulation of CDRW.
	The only stickler is IDECD. This is not needed when you use scsi
emulation because all devices are now named scd0 etc. instead of hdx.But
since in the stock kernel its compiled in and not a module you must do the
append line in lilo.conf.Otherwise IDE grabs the CDRW at boot before scsi gets a
chance. So if you recompile the kernel someday you can either config IDECD as a
module or just leave it out.
	I compiled mine as a module so i can use scsi emulation or revert
back to ide by removing the ide-cd module.Just follow the steps listed
above.