Re: IDE CD-RW

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:42:22 GMT, john gennard writes:
>The literature with the CD-RW is basic and suggests ways in which it
>can be installed on those channels already in use. This seems to
>imply that I shouldnot/cannot use the secondary channel slave, but it
>does not specifically say so.

The problem is that the IDE-master´s firmware is doing most of the
 stuff on this channel. So the writer´s firmware will quite probably be
 better equipped to handle writing functionality than the
 readers.

I tried that setup once myself, but my esperience wasn´t a very
 satisfying one.

>If I replace my CD with the CD-RW, would I be able to use the later
>for normal reading and would I require any special drivers?

Why replace it? Make your burner master and your reader slave, that way
 you can make use of both (but I´d strongly suggest against direct
 copying between the two, it´s possible but I wouldn´t trust it).

You´ll need no special drivers for using the writer to read CDs, but to
 make use of it´s writing functionality you´ll have to set up
 ide-scsi-emulation. See the cdrecord-docs for explanations, it may
 take some effort (and a kernel recompile) to get it running, but it´s
 quite worth it.

>Can anyone please suggest the most suitable way to proceed. I assume
>Potato (which is what I run) will support the drive - it did so with
>earlier models. All software supplied is for Windoze, so there is no
>information of any value.

Don´t take my opinions in any form offensive, they´re not meant that
way, but please don´t flame me if that´s all not longer true (I set it
up with a 2.0.x-kernel and a then-recent cdrecord, so there may have
been changes since).

HTH,
&rw
--
/  Ing. Robert Waldner  | Network Engineer | T: +43 1 89933  F: x533 \
\ <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> |    KPNQwest/AT   | Diefenbachg. 35, A-1150 /