Re: Why choose Debian?

<personal story>
	I hate Windows (1995-now)
	so
	I start to get interested in Linux. (1997)
	but
	I don't have the adequate attitude/knowledge (1998. Debian 2.0 install ok but problems with Winblows, still needed at the time).
	I keep on trying (1999. RedHat, but flakey electrical installation make lots of kernel panics. W9X simply crashes a lot).
	I solve the electricity issue. Corel stinks (2000)
	I go to a basic course of Linux (I learn Slackware).

	I return to home, and I think about what distro do I choose.
</personal story>
<reasons>

	I am Catalan, and Mandrake is the best Catalanised distro. Here we have to defend our language _every day_.
	But I think and think and I decide Debian is the only solution for me and to work for:

	freedom. I agree 100% on the main/contrib/non-free model.

	Frankly speaking if Debian was not the technically best Linux distro in the world, I wouldn't care and I'd continue with it, only for the political reasons. Debian can be Catalanised, but I don't think Mandrake can transform in a non-profit organisation.

	About the technical reasons, I like Debian because

	-Very flexible: from 386 to PIIIII.
	-Stable. 0 undocumented crashes.
	-Honesty (unstable/stable branches)
	-A thing that I hate and it's very common today it's that you can get your work done easily but loosing flexibility. But because the program is bad made, if you run into a problem... Good luck! Of course, Debian is 'harder, but safer'. The ocasionally really easy stuff like pppconfig works... And no more headaches.
	-debian lists. debian-user is my #1 solution provider (by reading archives 90% of the times).

	Sure I miss something, but...

	Hope it's interesting,

	Ignasi

P.S. Ah, I missed something.