Re: Why choose Debian?

> On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 09:28:13PM -0500, David B . Harris wrote:

> > Debian is like that. It's harder to learn than both Mandrake and
> Red
> > Hat, but it's easier to use and maintain. I wouldn't have been able
> > go straight from Windows into Debian, I needed Caldera, Mandrake,
> and
> > Red Hat as transitional phases, but now that I'm here I'm not going
> > back.
>
> Same here. I started with Suse and it was ok since I could really
> work
> with the system very quickly. Debian would have been much to
> frustrating back then.
> Then I migrated and I did never regret it. Is there somebody who
> changed to Debian and changed back later?

Well, I have started my Linux experience with Debian, after looking at
everything I could find talking about the differences between the
different distros.  I finally decided to try Linux after growing sick
of Win 3.11 for Workgroups, and knowing that my Pentium 90 wasn't going
to do me much good in the Windows environment.  I installed from a
Slink cd from the back of a "Using Linux" book, and have been enjoying
myself and occasionally banging my head against a wall ever since.
It's been several months now, Dselect hasn't given me any headaches,
and I feel like I'm getting more out of the computer than I would with
any other OS, because the size of programs isn't keeping pace with
memory and processor improvements, so I can actually use Linux programs
being written right now, with only a P90, 32M of RAM, and a 1.2gig HD
(it's completely a hand-me-down computer).  But the best thing about
it, and this is why I chose Debian from the various distros I looked
at, is that it's a community effort, and it's a community that creates
the best product it can, without commercial pressures to frag it up.
It's a working, functional expression of democracy, that's producing a
better product.

Bruce
"Vyvyan, eat the telly."
"I've been waiting for this!!"