Re: Subject: Can't find /etc/X11/*

ktb wrote:

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 09:37:41AM -0800, Tom Schuetz wrote:

<snip>

Also, once the X-server is started, how do I safely shut it down from a command line? When I hit ^alt-DEL, it just brings me back to the XDM login; I can get other consoles, but when I try to startx I get told the server is already active for another console- so how do I shut it down?

I hate xdm so I just remove it and use "startx" but if I did like it I
would "ctrl+alt+F2" run "ps ax" to find the pid number for xdm and then "kill <pid>" or "kill -9 <pid>" if it took that.

Or alternatively, run "/etc/init.d/[xgk]dm stop".

<snip>