Subject: Can't find /etc/X11/*

I'm trying to configure X11, but can't find /etc/X11, even though xf86config says it's writing its configuration to that directory.

Also, once the X-server is started, how do I safely shut it down from a command line? When I hit ^alt-DEL, it just brings me back to the XDM login; I can get other consoles, but when I try to startx I get told the server is already active for another console- so how do I shut it down?

Huge thanks to all the patient deb gods out there.

Tom Schuetz
ts22548@cybernetisp.net