Re: Help! Wrecking my system trying to get sound

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 06:35:42AM -0800, Monte Milanuk wrote:
> Help!
>
> That said, here's the scenario:  I've been back and forth
> btwn distros a bit in the last few months.  I've finally
> settled on Debian for now, and I really need to get sound
> up and working.  I have previously used sndconfig in
> RedHat, so I pointed my sources.list to unstable and
> installed sndconfig, which proceeded to lock my system up
> hard.  I put my sources.list back to stable, and I've dug
> thru the Sound-HOWTO and what not, but everything seems to
> assume that I know the hardware addresses for the sound
> card.  This is on a Dell OptiPlex GX1 w/ onboard Crystal
> CS4236B sound chip.  I've tried using sample hardware
> settings that I've found here, and on Deja, but nothing
> works, and about half the time, I lock the system up hard
> again.
>
> I need some kind of assistance soon.  If anyone has any
> ideas or is willing to walk me thru this, I'd greatly
> appreciated it.

You might try the new cs4236 driver in 2.2.17/2.2.18 kernels.  I can't
say if it's built by default in the Debian kernel images.  You can
probably find out most of the info you need for the driver by using
lspci (probably need to know I/O port, IRQ, and the two dma channels).

If that driver doesn't work, the cs4232 one might.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>