Re: X development packages broken in woody?

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 03:39:15PM -0700, debuser@platinum.globalmart.com wrote:
> > You contradict yourself - if you were tracking woody you were tracking
> > unstable.  Since you were tracking unstable before I don't see why
> > it's such a big deal to track it now ...
>
> Maybe it's not worth a discussion, but when I started using woody before,
> the stability of this machine was much less critical than it is now
> (nobody else relied on it then, but several people/machines do now).
> Also, I figure that "unstable" at the start of development of a new
> release (sid now) is probably a bit more unstable than "unstable" near the
> end of development of the release (woody of 2 months ago).

You might be right in your assumption, but my (anecdotal) evidence is
that unstable isn't very unstable at all.  As long as you review what
exactly apt-get has decided it's going to do today and upgrade
selectively at times.

Having said that I wouldn't run unstable on a server I didn't have
console access to 24/7, and probably not even then.

> > The new release system mimics (as far as I can tell) the BSD
> > development track:  there's "really stable", "sorta stable", and "not
> > guaranteed to even work".  Many find this arrangement preferable.
>
> So will testing always be available? I like the idea. I'm just not used to
> packages being rolled back in a release. But if I have apt-get always
> looking at testing, maybe that's what will make me happy.

The way I understand it is this:

  stable  <---  frozen  <---  testing  <---  unstable

whereas the old way was

  stable  <---  frozen  <---  unstable

Cheers,

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.