RE: X development packages broken in woody?

On 12-Jan-2001 debuser@platinum.globalmart.com wrote:
> Uggh, they removed X4 from Woody? I'm not sure I like this testing
> distribution thing. If I'm pointing at woody the whole time (which I
> have), I don't expect packages to be rolled back unless something is
> really wrong. So now that X has been removed from Woody, I must either
> roll back to X3 also, or get my X stuff from unstable. I don't want to
> move to unstable completely, as this workstation cannot afford any
> downtime. Is there any way to see which packages have been rolled back in
> Woody (I guess they're listed as obsolete in dselect)? Is there any way to
> automatically downgrade all the packages which have been rolled back? What
> was wrong with the old way of unstable->frozen->stable?

no, the symlink 'woody' was moved from unstable to testing.  unstable never
changed.

Testing is a new debian design.  The idea is that it will be a 'slushy'
unstable, always in a state to be frozen.  So, as packages mature from
unstable, they will be moved to testing.  The hope is that this will a) allow
users to use newer packages without dealing with a truly unstable and changing
unstable and b) let us release more often.