Re: AWE64 and ALSA

James W. Lindenschmidt wrote:

> I recently migrated to Debian potato from RedHat

Hope U are feeling light after shedding some excess
baggage !

> get my AWE64 working under ALSA. Can anyone point
> me in the right direction to accomplish this?

Get the source of the kernel, either v2.2.18 or the
latest v2.4.0.

Compiling the kernel is recommended, towards this
end do the following.  Read the kernel compiling HOWTO
and the docs in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/, with
emphasis on /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes and
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound.

First please insert the following line in
/etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main

Connect to the Internet and do an 'apt-get update'.
After that process is complete, do an
'apt-get install alsa-source'.  After the download is
complete, the install process will ask questions about
your sound card.  Answer clue-fully and now U are ready for
kernel brewing.  Read the /usr/share/doc/alsa-source/README-
.Debian.gz and hop on to the ALSA band-wagon.

Do learn how to compile your kernel using the 'kernel-package'
tool.  It is one thought-out-niftiest tool I have ever come
across the Debian package pool.

--
ragOO, VU2RGU
Keeping the Air-Waves FREE.........Amateur Radio