Re: Any Linux-based PhotoID software?

>My university creates ID cards for students using a small camera
>attached to a Windows box running PhotoCard software. I am getting
>mighty tired of trying to keep this Winblows box running. Does anyone
>have any leads on high-quality photo imaging/idcard-generating software
>that'll run on Debian (or even some other Linux distro - at this point
>I'd even settle for a DOS-based solution)?

I'm sure you've heard of Gphoto by now. It's supports many digital cameras. You
can take pictures interactively with the GUI interface, or use the command line
utilities.

I did a quick search at Freshmeat and couldn't find any such package available
for photo ids:( Could you simply create a template in Gimp for the ID card. Then
call up this template and edit it by filling in the name, etc. Finally, insert
the picture you just took and print it.

I'm really surprised there is no package available. Maybe I'll mention this to
the Gphoto team as I'm sure there is a need for this type of software.

Scott