Re: new boot disk?

    Carel> On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 08:41:06PM +0000, john gennard
    Carel> wrote:
    >> On Thursday 11 January 2001 5:08 am, James W. Lindenschmidt
    >> wrote: > Greetings, everyone.  > > I just migrated from RedHat
    >> over to Debian potato and I'm thrilled > so far.  > > But, I
    >> think my boot disk is defective, since it takes 5-7 minutes >
    >> for the >
    >> This was a problem I encountered when first installing
    >> Slink. It also occurs when I first installed Potato. What gives
    >> a dramatic improvement in booting speed for me is to re-compile
    >> the kernel (#make config, #make dep, #make clean, and #make
    >> bzdisk).  Up to now, I've always booted from floppies and
    >> kernels as supplied are not quite what I need so recompiling is
    >> desirable.
    >>
    >> My booting time now is to the order of 40secs - on first
    >> install it was similar to your experience (just over 6mins).

    Carel> You could also try to use lilo's compact option.

Or you could install just the bootblock on the floppy and boot the kernel from
your harddisk, i.e.

boot=/dev/fd0
root=/dev/hda5 (or whatever your root partition is)

--

R. A. Hogendoorn                                       E-mail: hogend@nlr.nl
Information and Communication Technology Division      Tel. +31-527-24-8367