Re: libcurses/libncurses problem

"Christopher W. Aiken" <cwaiken@telerama.com> writes:

> On 10 Jan 2001, David Z Maze wrote:
>
> ->Christopher W Aiken <cwaiken@telerama.com> writes:
> ->CWA> I had libcurses problems when I tried to compile an application
> ->CWA> (pine 4.31 I think, can't remember).  What I had to do was:
> ->CWA>
> ->CWA> cd /lib
> ->CWA> ln -sf libncurses.so.5.0 libncurses
> ->CWA>
> ->CWA> The compile/link was looking for "libncurses" and there was
> ->CWA> none.  The symb link created by the above ln command worked.
> ->
> ->Don't do that by hand.  Install the appropriate -dev package
> ->(libncurses-dev, probably) instead; it should install the needed
> ->header files, create that symbolic link, and possibly also install a
> ->static library.
> ->
>
> I already have libncurses installed and STILL had to set up the symb link.
>
> # dpkg -l | grep ncurses
> ii  libncurses4    4.2-9          Shared libraries for terminal handling
> ii  libncurses5    5.0-6.0potato1 Shared libraries for terminal handling
> ii  libncurses5-de 5.0-6.0potato1 Developer's libraries and docs for ncurses
> ii  ncurses-base   5.0-6.0potato1 Descriptions of common terminal types
> ii  ncurses-bin    5.0-6.0potato1 Terminal-related programs and man pages
> ii  ncurses-term   5.0-6.0potato1 Additional terminal type definitions
>
> --
> Christopher W. Aiken, Scenery Hill, Pa, USA
> chris at cwaiken dot com,   www.cwaiken.com
> Current O/S: Debian GNU/Linux 2.2_r2

Christopher, I just wanted to say thanks for all your time and reply to your
last post (not this one, I know). I have removed libncurses4-dev and installed
(from unstable) libncurses5-dev - it turned out that a woody system could be
partly in testing and partly in unstable - the relevant parts of my /lib and
/usr/lib dirs now match yours exactly, including your manually created symb
link, except I also have a

lrwxrwxrwx    1 20 Nov 25 22:59 libcurses.so.1 -> /lib/libncurses.so.5

file in /usr/lib (which I don'y imagine is doing any harm),but I still can't
get my app to run, so...I'll try to figure out something. Thanks again.

--
Giulio Morgan
mickle@panix.com