Re: libcurses/libncurses problem

On 10 Jan 2001, David Z Maze wrote:

->Christopher W Aiken <cwaiken@telerama.com> writes:
->CWA> I had libcurses problems when I tried to compile an application
->CWA> (pine 4.31 I think, can't remember).  What I had to do was:
->CWA>
->CWA> cd /lib
->CWA> ln -sf libncurses.so.5.0 libncurses
->CWA>
->CWA> The compile/link was looking for "libncurses" and there was
->CWA> none.  The symb link created by the above ln command worked.
->
->Don't do that by hand.  Install the appropriate -dev package
->(libncurses-dev, probably) instead; it should install the needed
->header files, create that symbolic link, and possibly also install a
->static library.
->

I already have libncurses installed and STILL had to set up the symb link.

# dpkg -l | grep ncurses
ii  libncurses4    4.2-9          Shared libraries for terminal handling
ii  libncurses5    5.0-6.0potato1 Shared libraries for terminal handling
ii  libncurses5-de 5.0-6.0potato1 Developer's libraries and docs for ncurses
ii  ncurses-base   5.0-6.0potato1 Descriptions of common terminal types
ii  ncurses-bin    5.0-6.0potato1 Terminal-related programs and man pages
ii  ncurses-term   5.0-6.0potato1 Additional terminal type definitions

--
Christopher W. Aiken, Scenery Hill, Pa, USA
chris at cwaiken dot com,   www.cwaiken.com