Re: LILO Problem

Bob Billson wrote:

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 09:18:22PM +0100, Cliff Sarginson wrote:

I have used grub and it is simplicity itself to setup .. and
very, very good.

I was thinking about trying out grub in place of lilo on my machine.  One
well actually two questions.  First, is it easy to pass parameters to the
kernel like with lilo.conf's 'append='?

Yes, just press "c" when grub's menu shows (spending time for the defined delay). To boot using different kernel which might not be included in the boot menu, you can type the following after the prompt shows up:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-which-is-a-test-kernel-maybe root=/dev/hda1 single
boot

Second, is it easier to install
Debian package or play with original tarball?

Well, it should be the first one.
BTW, even if you install it using apt-get, you have to copy some files:
cp /usr/share/grub/i386-pc/* /boot/grub

Oki