Re: Grub vs LILO

Brian May wrote:

>     Romain> I use grub, including scsi emulation for my CDR burner,
>     Romain> and I had no problem installing, none at all :-)
>
>     Romain> However I'd like to know how to pass arguments to the
>     Romain> kernel when I boot: For instance, how do I start in
>     Romain> single-user mode ?  Do I have to predefine such things in
>     Romain> menu.lst, or is there another way ?  One that would not
>     Romain> clutter the nice menu.
>
> In my grub I have:
>
> kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18 root=/dev/hda1 video=0x319

But you can't modify those options before you actually log in, can you ?

I seem to remember that lilo allowed you to specify new options by using
the command line when booting.

What I mean is "interact at boot time":
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/LILO-2.html#ss2.3

not just choosing from a pre-defined set of operating modes of a given
kernel.

Romain