Re: removing exe files...

On Monday 10 January 2000 12:00, D-Man wrote:
> cd / ; rm -fr *.exe
>
> ??
>
> This command will remove all files ending in ".exe" from the entire
> filesystem.  Is there some sort of naming convention used for those
> exe files?  If so, come up with a regex that will match all (or at
> least most) of those files without matching anything you want to
> keep. Then use it in conjunction with the "-r" (recursive) option to
> rm.
>
> -D
Mmm. This is a reckless habit to get into, find etc.. much safer.

Consider the consequences of your solution should the user accidentally
have a space after the "*" In your example.. goodbye OS.
Anyone contemplating using rm -rf * in the root directory has not been
using Unix systems for very long...

Cliff