Re: dpkg on other OSs

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 08:25:56AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> Stephen Carpenter <scarpe01@emerald.tufts.edu> wrote:
> >at work we are looking into package management for sysadmin stuff that we
> >do. Its not really my project but, as a debian supporter and a true believer
> >in dpkg being better than rpm or anything else that I have seen, I am
> >pushing for dpkg to be used.
> >
> >Mainly we are looking at using it under Solaris right now. I found
> >a few old references scattered on the web to people doing this, and
> >so far the best thing that I can see is to just dive into the dpkg
> >source and have a go at compiling it etc.
> >
> >In any case, I figured I would throw out a message and ask, who is
> >doing this right now? Any successes or caveats? Really any information
> >would be great to help out.
>
> I don't know of anybody actively doing it, but as I understand it the
> dpkg code is fairly portable. I remember hearing of people getting it to
> compile under HP-UX, and Solaris is a good deal closer to Linux than
> that. If you have problems getting it bootstrapped, most of the
> interested people read debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org and will probably be
> happy to help.

Ok thanks for the info. I will pass it along.

> Watch out for how this interacts with Solaris' own system, of course.
> Are you planning to use this as a means of managing /usr/local or
> something?

Yes basically, at least I hope thats the plan. This is kind of in concert
with an effort to get jumpstart working and cfengine so that we arn't
building machines "from scratch" and erradically running around updating
individual boxen.

-Steve
--
"The Creation of the Universe was made possible by a grant from Texas
Instruments. "