Re: X Window Manager

on Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 12:51:32PM -0500, cdryburgh (cdryburgh@logisil.com) wrote:
> Have got an old 386 with Debian Linux on it. Have loaded X and am
> looking for a window manager for it. There are a lot of them. I was
> hopping that if I give some specs that someone could narrow down the
> list.
>
> 1. Have limited memory resources so must not use much.
> 2. Have small monitor 14". Must allow for maximum screen viewing.
> 3. I am a programmer so will probably be doing GUI's and CORBA related
> stuff at some point.
>
> The ICEWM looks like a possibility to me. Any other opinions.

I tend to prefer WindowMaker, haven't tried it under configuration you
describe.

In addition to those suggested:

  - twm is a pretty minimal window manager.
  - blackbox and sawfish are both pretty slim.

Thing to consider is that Debian makes testing out different
configurations quite easy.  I'd suggest you try several, take a look at
the Window Managers for X page (search Google), and avoid GNOME and KDE,
both of which are probably going to swamp your system.