Re: X Window Manager

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 12:51:32PM -0500, cdryburgh wrote:
> Have got an old 386 with Debian Linux on it. Have loaded X and am
> looking for a window manager for it. There are a lot of them. I was
> hopping that if I give some specs that someone could narrow down the
> list.
>
> 1. Have limited memory resources so must not use much.
> 2. Have small monitor 14". Must allow for maximum screen viewing.
> 3. I am a programmer so will probably be doing GUI's and CORBA related
> stuff at some point.

if you are looking for a really lightweight one, you should try wmx:

http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/wmx/

and if you're a programmer, you probably even won't be scared by its
type of configuration (editing a C header file and recompiling :)

Also, there are so few lines of code, that you can easily
comprehend what's going on, and modify it to suit whatever
special needs you have...

I personally like it very much -- even on machines which could
run anything. It has no gimmicks, but everything I really need,
like arbitrary number of virtual desktops, etc.

Erdmut

--
Erdmut Pfeifer
science+computing gmbh

-- Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut! --