OT: X window-managers

Hi all. I'm curious..
I installed X for the first(?) time last weekend
and I installed FVWM. I had heard about Gnome,
but decided not to use it because I wanted
something fast and small. Now I'm wondering, what
are the advantages to using something like Gnome,
(which runs on top of a window manager anyways)
when I can get the same functionality from a
smaller, yet configurable, window manager?
comments? opinions?

thanks!!!
xucaen

--- Daniel Oxenhandler <daniel@sprintlabs.com>