strange bash feature

I was recently using a computer (not my home computer) from which I have access
to a linux account, using F-Secure SSH.

I noticed that any time I typed a command I would get the command repeated
before I got the output - as an example

    [irvine@hostname]$ ls
    ls
    index.htm other files

This is a little irritating at times. If I try to do the following

    [irvine@hostname]$ ls -l 'which ls'

I get

    ls -l 'which ls'
    ls: which ls: No such file or directory

Whereas I would normally expect the following

    [irvine@hostname]$ ls -l 'which ls'
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        43740 Aug 25 17:24 /bin/ls

I was just wondering if this was a feature of F-Secure SSH or is this something
do to with the way bash has been set up on the linux machine in question (more
likely). If it is something to do with bash how can I disable this
feature.

I checked the file /etc/issue and my account is running on

	Red Hat Linux release 7.0 (Guinness)
   	Kernel 2.2.16-22 on an i586

But I don't suppose that that makes much difference.

T:Irvine