Re: When was /dev/gpmdata put into use??

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 11:37:49PM +0100, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> * Carel Fellinger <cfelling@iae.nl> wrote:
> > In X it's clear from the visual context when the mouse is in
> > `cut&paste' mode or in `command' mode.
>
> Is it? Not in xterms.

You're right, it isn't:(

> > So I think it's wise to have a Debian policy to *not* have the mouse
> > act in `command' mode on the console, unless specified otherwise by
> > the user.
>
> I am indifferent about this. Shift+mouse for cut&paste is documented
> in mc's help.

Whether you can cut&paste or not is not the point that bothers me,
it's the fact that on the console all of a sudden a mouse click can
provoke some action!  That somehow feels unsafe to me.  When you're
like me used to use mouse-clicks for cut and paste in text (whether on
a console or in a xterm or in some text-window) then it's horrifying
to realise that some programs on a mere upgrade suddenly might start
to react differently in this respect.  And then you'll have to
remember *which* programs do so, yack.

> > Nontheless, I think the Debian mc man should alter the behaviour and
> > the options for mc to reflect the above,
>
> If you can convince upstream (the mc2-devel@nuclecu.unam.mx) or make
> it policy, then I will do it.
>
> I can't really judge if this is a good thing or not. I will only
> change mc's behaviour in a incompatible way (different mouse handling)
> to its prior version for compelling reasons.

You're ever so right!  Didn't think it thru, I guess.

--
groetjes, carel