Re: edit apt-get sources.list (apt-get woes)

DTi4565459@aol.com wrote:
>Two problems, apt-get has stopped mounting my periph PCMCIA cdrom
>(EXP).  When I try apt-cdrom add, it prompts me to put in cdrom, but
>then it complains that it is not a valid block device.  Don't
>understand why this has started happeing, as it used to work fine.

Is /dev/cdrom a link to the right place?

>So, as a workaround I mounted the CDROM, looked through source files,
>and copied the x11 directory to /sources/x11 on my hard drive.  Then
>tried to compile from there.  First did gunzip *.*   then  tar *.*   ;

Note that *.* is a DOSism; on Unix, it matches all files containing at
least one dot (apart from files with initial dots, which are generally
sort-of-hidden). However, our * works properly, unlike that of DOS, so
get into the habit of using * when you mean "all non-hidden files and
directories in the current directory".

>but I don't think I have source packages;   still have  .diff   .dsc
>and .tar files.    How to make progress from here??

Those *are* source packages. :)

'dpkg-source -x foo.dsc' will unpack them (that's what 'apt-get source'
calls), then 'dpkg-buildpackage' will build them. Ideally, install the
fakeroot package, and then you can build packages using
'dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot' as an ordinary user as opposed to root.