re: edit apt-get sources.list (apt-get woes)

Two problems, apt-get has stopped mounting my periph PCMCIA
cdrom (EXP).  When I try apt-cdrom add, it prompts me to
put in cdrom, but then it complains that it is not a valid block
device.  Don't understand why this has started happeing, as it
used to work fine.

So, as a workaround I mounted the CDROM, looked through
source files, and copied the x11 directory to /sources/x11 on
my hard drive.  Then tried to compile from there.  First did
gunzip *.*   then  tar *.*   ; but I don't think I have source
packages;   still have  .diff   .dsc     and .tar files.    How to make
progress from here??