Re: Netscape 6 for Linux ?

([<> On 7 Jan 2001, some witty mortal wrote: <>])

 (From experience using Mozilla from M16 -> latest nightly builds).

> nice:
> 1. auto URL completion  (big whoop).

 URL completion is actually a "big whoop" as it A) saves a lot of time;
B) Looking through the History to find that really wierd URL that you
forgot to write down; C) allows you to go back to regularly visited
sites easily without having to bookmark them :o)

> 2. renders CSS, even if you turn javascript off (NICE!!!!)

 I have just been testing Mozilla, Opera 5.01, and IE5 on Win98, and I
have to say, Mozilla seems to have the best support for CSS2 that I can
find. I might say it handles a few CSS2 items differently than Opera
5.01 does (both claim to be great with CSS), but still ten miles ahead
of IE5 ;o)

> 3. it crashes less from what i've seen.

 Yeah, I've had it crash just clicking on links D:  But I can live with
it. The end product is what I'm worried about, not the beta versions.

> bad:
> 1. they took away the "bookmark button".

 How do you mean they took away the bookmark button ? My version of
Mozilla has a nice little bookmarks menu that lets me organise my
bookmarks quite nicely.
 And there is also the option to display the "bookmarks" button in the
preferences. It comes up on the personal taskbar, next to the home
button. They took it off the toolbar, leaving more room to see the url.

> 2. kerberos is completely broken (i can't access my school grades with
> ns6).

 Is this security ? I'm not exactly sure what kerberos is, but the PSM
module for Mozilla works for me.

> 3. very, very, very slow to load.  even slower than previous NS >
incarnations

 True, it loads fairly slowly. But that's also getting slightly better
with each build. I would guess there's some debugging work going on in
the background of these builds.

4. more junk.

 True. I don't really see the point of having AIM in the browser. But
then, Opera 5.01 just implemented ICQ support into their browser, so I
guess "convergence" of web applications is what they're after (browser
+ mail + news + IRC chat + messager program = most of what the young
ppl seem to do besides play games)

 I chose not to install the mail/news and chat, but I believe NS6
forces the install of the messaging program. More reason to stick with
Mozilla builds ;o)

> 5. assigning helper applications is now very inconvenient

> i'd recommend against netscape 6.  i love CSS, so it's almost worth it
> for me.  i'm thinking of going back though.

 Well, I think your experiences have been shared by a great many people
since the first releases of NS6. But I also think a lot of people seem
to misunderstand how the NS6 builds work.

 The NS6 builds are entirely -old- code. M18 fixes most of the bugs
that would have been in the NS6 public release.

 The builds I use (nightly builds I get every few days) are getting
quite good. They render some pages faster than IE5 and Opera do, and
also have the best standards support.

 I think everyone has to get over the perception of the NS6 builds
being the be-all-and-end-all of Netscape browsers. Mozilla builds are
way ahead of NS6, and dont have the extra "crap" like AIM messaging
forced on you.

 I would almost recommend boycoutting NS6 releases in favour of the
Mozilla releases ;o)

 Bit of a rant. Please take with a few grains of salt. I know NS6 is
bad, but that's because people are looking at the Mozilla project the
wrong way around IMO.

 Ard Righ

 'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
 http://www.CPLPacific.com/