Installing Oracle on woody (chrooted potato)

Of course its not possible with the current available Oracle
Database versions. This is true for 816SE, 816EE and 817EE
(tested 'em all) because of the glibc2.1.3 dependeny.

Because I was stupid enough to waste countless hours spending
installing all oracle version above on woody over and over just to
recognize its doesn't work I was also crazy enough to find
another way without needing to go away from woody

(Note: the main purpose for the following attempt was: no install
cds and floppies at home for a potato fresh install and
downgrading from woody->potato won't work; well, maybe, but thats
another story).

For simplicty, I just downloaded
ftp://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/base2_2.tgz
, made a directory called /potato , untared base2_2.tgz into it
and
	chroot /potato /bin/bash
'ed into it.

Some basic steps for this work is then create a small /etc/fstab
so it knows at least /proc. Then, a /etc/hosts entry for
localhost and a hostname for the local ip is needed. Fire up
dselect, specify access method (I used apt of course), maybe you
should first create your /etc/apt/sources.list, mine is

echo "deb ftp://ftp.at.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free" > /etc/apt/sources.list
echo "deb ftp://ftp.at.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

Do a dselect update, dselect select and finally install.

Some notes: installing ssh, ftp, exim, apache etc. won't work in
your chrooted environment if on your normal system those services
are running on their particular default port. Anyway, there is
real need for the chrooted system to run cron, exim, ssh, blabla
.. you 'll get it I think.

Then, copy the oracle install file somewhere to your chrooted
environment and there your go; the rest is standard oracle
install procedure.

And, yes, Oracle 817 now installs and runs and I even can run my
favorite woody system.

Ah, what I forgot, possible trouble can come across you when
accessing the local X-Server (And hey, since oracle 8 you *need*
X if you don't have a proper response file [and even with this
its a pain in the ass, believe me...]); export DISPLAY=:0.0 can
work, DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 worked for me, but I also needed to
do a 'xhost +localhost' on your current account running the
xserver. And sometimes I even needed to copy my
~localacount/.Xauthority do chrooted:/home/oracle/ ; but well,
you Linux Gurus out there know better way how to solve this
problem.

All the countless hours of work are dedicated to Tatjana.

happy oracle-on-woody-in-chrooted-environment installing,

	Markus

ps: I attached my chrooted:roots .bash_history so everyone can
follow my stupidity.

--
Markus Fischer,  http://josefine.ben.tuwien.ac.at/~mfischer/
EMail:         mfischer@josefine.ben.tuwien.ac.at
echo "deb ftp://ftp.at.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free" > /etc/apt/sources.list
echo "deb ftp://ftp.at.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
dselect
nsl
ping
ping ftp.at.debian.org
cat /etc/host.conf
echo "nameserver 192.168.0.1" > /etc/resolv.conf
ping ftp.at.debian.org
echo $HOME
cd
pwd
ls -la
cd
cd ..
ls -la
cd
pwd
dselect
dselect
dselect access apt
dselect access apt
dselect access
dselect update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get -u upgrade
apt-get install apache
apt-get install perl5
apt-get install perl
pwd
cd
dselect updaet
cd
ls -la
apt-get install apache php4 perl
vi /etc/apache/httpd.conf
apt-get -u upgrade
apt-get install php4
/etc/init.d/apache stop
/etc/init.d/apache start
apt-get install vim
vi /etc/apache/httpd.conf
apt-get remove nvi
dselect
dselect
dpkg --purge exim
dselect install
apt-get -u upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade
cd
dselect
dpkg --purge cron
dpkg --purge at
groupadd oinstall
groupadd dba
useradd -g oinstall -G dba -d /home/oracle -s /bin/bash -m oracle
pwd
cd
cat - >oraclean.sh
chmod 755 oraclean.sh
cat - oraenv
cat - oraenv.sh
cat - > oraenv.sh
chmod 755 oraenv.sh
chmod 755 oraclean.sh
cat oraclean.sh
./oraclean.sh
ls -la /home/oracle/
su - oracle
apt-get install xterm
su - oracle
vi oraenv.sh
su - oracle
apt-get install slay
slay oracle
cd
ls -l
cat /etc/group
vi /etc/group
vi /etc/passwd
rm -Rf /home/oracle/
rm -Rf /home/oracle/
useradd
vi oraclean.sh
./oraclean.sh
cat /etc/passwd
su - oracle
cd
su - oracle
cd
pwd
cd
/home/oracle/orainstRoot.sh
cd
passwd root
tail -f ~oracle/oraInventory/logs/installActions.log
less -n  ~oracle/oraInventory/logs/installActions.log
pwd
vi /etc/hosts
/sbin/ifconfig
su - oracle