Re: Trouble Setting Up DSL

On  7 Jan, Hall Stevenson wrote:
:  * Jason Dawe (jason@st-johns.crosswinds.net) [010107 19:32]:
:  > However, after completing the installation and rebooting I could not connect
:  > to any sites, nor could I ping any servers. For example if I do a 'ftp
:  > ftp.debian.org' it instantly tells me it is not found. (It takes no time at
:  > all; doesn't even seem to look)
:
:  'cause there's *no* network connection. If it was a DNS problem, it
:   would at least take a few seconds for the protocol to timeout.
:

Not necessarily true:

nujoma:/etc# mv resolv.conf not.resolv.conf
nujoma:/etc# time ping socrates.berkeley.edu
ping: unknown host socrates.berkeley.edu

real    0m0.049s
user    0m0.010s
sys     0m0.020s

If there's no DNS server properly set up, it will time out nearly
instantly.

Cheers,
Andy Perrin

Andrew J Perrin - Ph.D. Candidate, UC Berkeley, Dept. of Sociology
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - http://demog.berkeley.edu/~aperrin
        aperrin@socrates.berkeley.edu - aperrin@igc.apc.org