Re: Trouble Setting Up DSL

* Jason Dawe (jason@st-johns.crosswinds.net) [010107 19:32]:
> Hello I have a DSL modem with a SMC EtherPower II Ethernet card. Before
> installing Debian I used the Windows 'winipcfg' utility to find out my IP
> address, DNS servers, Default Gateway, Subnet Mask and DHCP Server.

Most residential DSL providers use PPPoE. Were you supplied a "static" IP address ?? If so, you're not using PPPoE. Did you have to install any "special" software in order to get connected or just enter IP addresses, gateway address, etc, etc ??

> However, after completing the installation and rebooting I could not connect
> to any sites, nor could I ping any servers. For example if I do a 'ftp
> ftp.debian.org' it instantly tells me it is not found. (It takes no time at
> all; doesn't even seem to look)

'cause there's *no* network connection. If it was a DNS problem, it would at least take a few seconds for the protocol to timeout.

Regards
Hall