re: wvdial hangs off to pppd..... How to stop that??

I had similar problems with that 8bit problem with my deb 2.1 with diald...
I fixed it with /ppp/options, the setting crtscts, or xonxoff I believe..
try settings these on/off see what it gives you... I'm sorry I cant
remember more about it.  (if I remember correctly its like local echo, if
you have ever used terminal to connect 2 computers and you get 2 of
everything on the screen, something similar is happening to your
connection...)

hope this gives you some ideas / help

	Ken