re: wvdial hangs off to pppd..... How to stop that??

I've got my PCMCIA modem dialing now.  In DOS,with the old win31
terminal program, I can dial up my university ISP, and connect to
a login prompt.

Under Linux, when I dial in with wvdial, the login prompt screen flashes
by without giving me time to enter text.  The pppd takes over and
starts dialing again.  Pppd can't connect, at least so far.  tail -f log
says something wrong with 8 bit, etc.  Sorry, I have to leave it
like this for now; because I've got to go over to linux box to try to
connect and get exact error message.