Re: Turning off services SOLVED

At 04:31 PM 1/7/2001 +0100, Stefan Frank wrote:
Hi Ross!

On Sat, 06 Jan 2001, Ross Boylan wrote:

> At various times I have wanted to turn off certain daemons without
> uninstalling their packages.  I couldn't find any good way to do this,
> so I wrote a little script.  I'm making it available under the GPL.
>
> I've since discovered that the some packages also create a bunch of
> crontab jobs, and they are still cluttering things up a bit.
>
> If there's a better way to do this, I'd love to hear it.

Original script deleted.

What i'm doing usually is to rename the init-script under /etc/init.d/ to
original-filename.NO. This will affect all runlevels but i don't care.
IMO it's simple and quite obvious (for me at least).

Anyone got a better idea ?

Regards, Stefan

Doesn't this have a few rough spots: you get a bunch of error messages on startup, and if you have started a service sometime after boot it won't be shut down automatically when you shut down?

On the update-rc.d idea (in another message): this only turns things off if the script they refer to is deleted. But I wanted to keep it around.