Re: GCC and EGCS

:: staf wagemakers writes:

> The latest gcc sersion 2.96 ( which is the default compiler on Red Hat 7 ) has
> a few bugs and isn't able to compile the Linux kernel. This version of gcc is
> only a pre-release therefor I wouldn't use this version at all...

There was some flame war in linux-kernel and elsewhere I guess because
of that. It's not "pre-release". They actually picked a CVS snapshot
that was not binary-compatible with anything else, and with unknown
bugs, and packaged it.

I'd call our version of gcc (2.95.3) a "prerelease", but not Red
Hat's "2.96".

The gcc people had to publicaly announce that there has never been an
official 2.96 gcc version...

J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil