Re: GCC and EGCS

On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 05:00:14PM +0100, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> I am really confused over the different compilers wich seems to be
> together.
>
> Does EGCS exist today? or is it included in GCC. Many software recomments
> to be compiled with egcs (???). I have GCC 2.95.2 installed on my machine
> wich seems to be the latest version of GCC. The kernel doc tells me that i
>
> have to use GCC 2.72 (???) and only for secondary choice the latest GCC!

The egcs and gcc projects merged some time ago, actually egcs became gcc 2.9X.

I use gcc 2.95.2 to compile my kernels without any problems, so it's save to
use your gcc compiler to compile your kernel.

The latest gcc sersion 2.96 ( which is the default compiler on Red Hat 7 ) has
a few bugs and isn't able to compile the Linux kernel. This version of gcc is
only a pre-release therefor I wouldn't use this version at all...

regards,

--
Staf Wagemakers

email      : staf@digibel.org