Re: help debugging a compiler error (cpp)

Jonathan Markevich wrote:

> ---
> bash-2.03$ make
> rm -f nv.o os-interface.o os-registry.o Module-linux NVdriver
> cc -c -Wall -Wunknown-pragmas -Wno-multichar -O  -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE
> -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -DUNIX -DLINUX -DNV4_HW -DNTRM -DRM20 -D_X86_=1
> -Di386=1 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DRM_HEAPMGR -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES    -I.
> -I/usr/src/linux/include nv.c
> cpp: -lang-c: linker input file unused since linking not done
> cc: installation problem, cannot exec 'cc1': No such file or directory
> make: *** [nv.o] Error 1
> ---
>
> Does anyone know what I need installed here?  Thanks.

As root, do:
update-alternatives --display cc
and check what cc is pointing at.  On my system:

hal9000:~# update-alternatives --display cc
cc - status is auto.
 link currently points to /usr/bin/gcc
/usr/bin/gcc - priority 20
 slave cc.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/gcc.1.gz
Current best' version is /usr/bin/gcc.

cc is pointing at gcc.  I'm suspecting that on yours it is somehow pointing
t cc1 which doesn't appear to exist on you system.  If you do (again as
root):
update-alternatives --config cc
you should be able to redirect the cc symlink to something that exists.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.