Upgrading from 2.0

I'm upgrading a Debian 2.0 system. According to the manual I
downloaded and installed the static versions of dpkg and apt.
When I do a apt-get update apt is unable to connect to the
download sites. I'm double-checked the /etc/apt/sources.list
against those of other machines and I'm sure it is correct.
I tried a few mirrors to be sure, but somehow apt is unable
to connect to the web.
I'm sure the internet connection works fine.
What is going wrong and how do I update this system ASAP?
--
Casper Gielen