Re: copying file system

hello,

I configured Debian system on one computer
and would like to copy file system to another
computer (identical hardware).
What command or program should I use for this?
1.Then I have ethernet connection.
This was discussed before, I will repeat:

tar cf - / | ssh -C client 'cd /mnt; tar -xf -'

assumed there is an os running on the client.

2.Then I don't have it.
If the hd's are identical, you can put them together in one compu, and do:
# dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
where sda is your source and sdb is your destination. This will copy the
entire harddisk, but you can also copy partition-wise, like:
# dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb2
will copy partition 1 of sda to sdb, beginning at partition 2.

If the hd's are not idential, you can format you destination hd and to
something similar as in 1.

I suggest method 2.1, that copies your hd at lowlevel.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan

Thank you in advance.

ktt