Re: Network Throughput

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Philipp Schulte wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 10:02:49PM +0100, Sebastiaan wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Philipp Schulte wrote:
>
> > > I guess you are mixing up MBit and MByte.
> > > Phil
> > You too, it is Mb for megabit and MB for megabyte.
> > Same for kB = kiloByte.
> >
> > Please do not use silly shorts, like
> > mb = milibit, or
> > KB = Kelvin Byte
>
> What are you talking about?
>
> > All this is consistent with SI (= Systeme International).
>
> Could you please give me an URL, where this is defined?
> I searched the SI units but it does not mention any difference between
> MB and Mb.
> Phil

It could be that bits and bytes are not defined in the SI. I said it more
on my experiences. Maybe there is no official notation for this, but it is
convenient to distinguish between b and B as bits and Bytes respectively
(bits are smaller than Bytes). Maybe there is something said about this in
ancient magazines, when floppy sizes were measured in kilobits.

As for the other units, they are well defined in SI. I do not know a link
about it, I just use what I had ever learned on school.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan