Re: quake 2 server lists probs

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Nate Amsden wrote:

> David Purton wrote:
> >
> > I've managed to install quake 2 and get it to run without too many
> > problems, but whenever I try to refresh the server list it complains
> > that the broadcast address of 224.1.0.0 is unreachable and no local
> > servers are displayed.
> >
> > How can I get quake 2 to broadcast on my local network for available
> > servers instead of the above broadcast address?
>
> erm..that should be right ...224.1.0.0 is the system searching the
> network for quake servers whatever replies to that the system will
> look at it to see if it indeed has a quake server:
>
> (from my networking notes ..)
> Class D Address
> First 4 bits of the first octet is 1110.  First octet between 224-239.
> Used
> for multicast packets.  Many protocols use multicast to reach multiple
> groups of hosts(e.g. ICMP discovery)  Can discover addresses of
> routers by sending reqeusts to 24.0.0.2.  Any local routers will
> recognize
> and respond to this request.

ah cunning, so maybe there is a problem with my network setup (though
everything else seems to be ok).

what would cause my machine to complain that the network is unreachable
then?

these are some possible helpful outputs and files:

-----------

# route

Kernel IP routing table
Destination  Gateway    Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use    Iface
192.168.0.0     *     255.255.255.0       U     0     0      0     eth0

-------

# cat interfaces

# Used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8). See the interfaces(5) manpage or
# /usr/share/doc/netbase/examples for more information.
#

iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.1
        network 192.168.0.0
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255

Today people in droves hurry up past Heumoz to Villars
on the road to the ski hills, so they can rush down them
as fast as possible, so they can hurry up again in order
to rush down again.  In a way this is funny,...

			Francis A Schaeffer

David Purton

http://www.chariot.net.au/~dcpurton/
dcpurton@chariot.net.au