Re: quake 2 server lists probs

David Purton wrote:

> I've managed to install quake 2 and get it to run without too many
> problems, but whenever I try to refresh the server list it complains
> that the broadcast address of 224.1.0.0 is unreachable and no local
> servers are displayed.
>
> How can I get quake 2 to broadcast on my local network for available
> servers instead of the above broadcast address?

erm..that should be right ...224.1.0.0 is the system searching the
network for quake servers whatever replies to that the system will
look at it to see if it indeed has a quake server:

(from my networking notes ..)
Class D Address
First 4 bits of the first octet is 1110.  First octet between 224-239.
Used
for multicast packets.  Many protocols use multicast to reach multiple
groups of hosts(e.g. ICMP discovery)  Can discover addresses of
routers by sending reqeusts to 24.0.0.2.  Any local routers will
recognize
and respond to this request.

nate

--