Re: 2.4 kernel release

<squadboy@mail.sisna.com> wrote:
>I have no idea where it will go first but I would think we should see
>it in Woody in the pretty near future.

I imagine so. (It will go into unstable first, like everything else.)
You can always build it from source, which a lot of people end up doing
with kernels anyway. Documentation/Changes has details of what you need,
and you'll only need a few upgrades from potato (modutils comes to
mind). Grab those from woody.

>No the next version of Potato will be 2.2r3. Won't get a new version
>number till Woody goes stable. IMHO Woody should be 3.0 think about it
>a new major version of X and a new major version of the Kernel. Not to
>mention all of the other new stuff. I think it is time for a major
>version number change. What do the rest of you think?

Well, it's up to the release manager (and possibly debian-devel, but
straw polls on mailing lists don't really count for very much), not even
remotely debian-user. :) Remember that every Debian release has a hell
of a lot of new stuff - potato was a year and a half after slink, apart
from anything else. Any bumping of the version number tends to be at
least in part a marketing thing (we don't have the "*.0 is randomly
unstable, *.1 is OK, *.2 is fairly stable" thing that people talk about
Red Hat having sometimes).

I don't think it's all that important really, but generally I think that
major version increments are likely to be reserved for major changes in
the Debian-specific core parts of the distribution. apt was introduced
in hamm (2.0), as I recall. Perhaps the release of the new Debian
installer would be an appropriate milestone; last I heard, that was
slated for woody+1.