Re: mouse configuration

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, David B.Harris wrote:

> To quote Mithras <mithras@dhp.com>,
> # Excuse me if this question is really basic.

I wonder now if I showed naivete' by suggesting mouse configuration
should be simple! :-)

> # After installing Debian for the first time (but not Linux), I
> # discovered the mouse wasn't working.
>
> I think the problem is 'gpm'. I know it is possible to have 'gpm' and X
> share the mouse, but I've never found a way(and to all those who are
> reading this; /dev/gpmdata isn't sufficient). You might want to consider
> stopping 'gpm', by doing a '/etc/init.d/gpm stop', and see if you X
> mouse problems go away. If they do, you might try to disable 'gpm' from
> being started at boot time by using the 'update-rc.d' script.

Yes!  That was the 'odd device' I saw /dev/mouse linked to,
/dev/gpmdata.  I've spent some time now studying this 'gpm', and I
imagine that it could be destructive of or interfering with the serial
port device, which would explain the erratic behavior I observed last
night.  I noticed that 'gpm under X' is discussed on the list of
notes for 2.2 rev0, (http://cdimage.debian.org/lastmin.html) which
suggests:

> The easiest solution is to remove the linerepeat_type=<something> from /etc/gpm.conf

Thanks for the lead!  (So much to catch up on with a new
distribution.)

ben

mithras@dhp.com / http://www.dhp.com/~mithras
716-586-0020 work, 716-256-2484 home, 716-233-3159 cell
174 Henrietta St. #2 / Rochester, NY 14620