Re: mouse configuration

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001 15:31:58 -0500 (EST)
Mithras <mithras@dhp.com> wrote:

> Excuse me if this question is really basic.
>
> After installing Debian for the first time (but not Linux), I
> discovered the mouse wasn't working.
>
> It didn't move at all at first, and I found last night that /dev/mouse
> was just symlinked to some weird device, but not ttyS0 like it should
> (for my 3-button Logitech mouse).  When I started X, however, the
> mouse moved only in occasionally sudden leaps to the left & downward,
> while also sending imaginary mouse clicks (pop-up menus appeared).
>
> Could I have chosen the wrong mouse device to link to?  I've heard
> that GNOME can be sluggish, but this doesn't appear to be a system
> grinding along (other symptoms, like hard drive activity, or slow
> screen draws, are not evident).  (My cpu is an AMD K6 233, with 80M.)
> I cleaned the mouse wheels, so it couldn't be that either.
>
> Note: I did notice an X error on the console about accessing the mouse
> after I quit last night, but alas I don't have that message written down.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I experimented the same symtoms. Then I found out, that it works fine
if you hold down the left mouse button before the mouse receives
energy from the computer. You can do this during a reboot, or you can
plug out the mouse, hold down the left button with one hand, and try
with the other to fiddle with the connector to plug it in again; then
you may release the button. (try guessing this one :-). As a matter of
fact, if I switch from X to tty mode, and come back, I usually loose
the mouse and have to repeat this acrobacy. Fortunately I don't switch
very often. I found other references in the net suggesting among other
thing to gamble with the DTR, but I lost...

--
Christoph Simon
ciccio@prestonet.com.br
---