Re: mouse configuration

To quote Mithras <mithras@dhp.com>,
# Excuse me if this question is really basic.
#
# After installing Debian for the first time (but not Linux), I
# discovered the mouse wasn't working.
#
# It didn't move at all at first, and I found last night that /dev/mouse
# was just symlinked to some weird device, but not ttyS0 like it should
# (for my 3-button Logitech mouse).  When I started X, however, the
# mouse moved only in occasionally sudden leaps to the left & downward,
# while also sending imaginary mouse clicks (pop-up menus appeared).
#
# Could I have chosen the wrong mouse device to link to?  I've heard
# that GNOME can be sluggish, but this doesn't appear to be a system
# grinding along (other symptoms, like hard drive activity, or slow
# screen draws, are not evident).  (My cpu is an AMD K6 233, with 80M.)
# I cleaned the mouse wheels, so it couldn't be that either.
#
# Note: I did notice an X error on the console about accessing the mouse
# after I quit last night, but alas I don't have that message written
down.
#
# Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I think the problem is 'gpm'. I know it is possible to have 'gpm' and X
share the mouse, but I've never found a way(and to all those who are
reading this; /dev/gpmdata isn't sufficient). You might want to consider
stopping 'gpm', by doing a '/etc/init.d/gpm stop', and see if you X
mouse problems go away. If they do, you might try to disable 'gpm' from
being started at boot time by using the 'update-rc.d' script.

# Besides this mouse problem, I'd just like to say how *pleased* I've
# been with Debian.  The default X environment (what I've been able to
# see of it) and Xdm are gorgeous, and when I discovered that xdm & my
# mouse problem conspired to keep me from a console or xterm prompt, I
# really appreciated finding the shell prompt available from the boot
# CD.  My past experience has been with old Red Hat & Slackware
# distributions, which simply didn't look as *pretty* as Debian.
# (Trivial perhaps, but it is somehow satisfying when your favorite
# operating system doesn't look like a sow's ear.)

Agreed :) I've rebooted maybe two dozen times in the past few days just
so I could see the Debian theme of the Linux Progress Patch :) You're
right, veeery satisfying :

Dave