mouse configuration

Excuse me if this question is really basic.

After installing Debian for the first time (but not Linux), I
discovered the mouse wasn't working.

It didn't move at all at first, and I found last night that /dev/mouse
was just symlinked to some weird device, but not ttyS0 like it should
(for my 3-button Logitech mouse).  When I started X, however, the
mouse moved only in occasionally sudden leaps to the left & downward,
while also sending imaginary mouse clicks (pop-up menus appeared).

Could I have chosen the wrong mouse device to link to?  I've heard
that GNOME can be sluggish, but this doesn't appear to be a system
grinding along (other symptoms, like hard drive activity, or slow
screen draws, are not evident).  (My cpu is an AMD K6 233, with 80M.)
I cleaned the mouse wheels, so it couldn't be that either.

Note: I did notice an X error on the console about accessing the mouse
after I quit last night, but alas I don't have that message written down.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Besides this mouse problem, I'd just like to say how *pleased* I've
been with Debian.  The default X environment (what I've been able to
see of it) and Xdm are gorgeous, and when I discovered that xdm & my
mouse problem conspired to keep me from a console or xterm prompt, I
really appreciated finding the shell prompt available from the boot
CD.  My past experience has been with old Red Hat & Slackware
distributions, which simply didn't look as *pretty* as Debian.
(Trivial perhaps, but it is somehow satisfying when your favorite
operating system doesn't look like a sow's ear.)

Thanks in advance,

ben taylor

mithras@dhp.com / http://www.dhp.com/~mithras
716-586-0020 work, 716-256-2484 home, 716-233-3159 cell
174 Henrietta St. #2 / Rochester, NY 14620