Re: Changing screen size along with screen resolution?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lance Simmons" <lance@lsimmons.net>
To: "Nate Amsden" <aphro@portal.aphroland.org>
Cc: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2000 3:42 AM
Subject: Re: Changing screen size along with screen resolution?

> On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 05:42:36PM -0800, Nate Amsden wrote:
> > Lance Simmons wrote:
> > >
> > > Is
> > > there a way to change resolution _and_ screen size at the same time?
> > >
> > does the game support fullscreen?
>
> Yes, it does. It's Heroes of Might and Magic 3, ported by Loki. I used
> it on Red Hat in fullscreen, with no problems. Then last May I switched
> to Debian and never got around to installing Heroes 3 again. Now I've
> installed it, and when I give the appropriate command for fullscreen, I
> get a 800x600 window taking up a quarter of my 1600x1200 desktop.
>
> Isn't there a way I can _start_ X at 800x600 without having to modify
> my XF86Config file? I'm willing to start a separate X session on
> another virtual terminal. Reading the man pages for xinit and startx
> hasn't enlightened me.

Maybe that's not the best recommendation for you, but if you use
enlightenment as your windowmanager (or want to give it a try) there is a
feature to zoom the current window to full screen via ALT+ENTER. This could
be suitable for your needs. But unfortunately this feature is disabled in
the current deb-package. The package master has promised to acivate this
feature in the next package version. For so long you have to compile it on
your own.
But maybe you just don't want to use enlightenment....

Marco Herrn