Setup of X 4.0 and ALSA

How do I setup X 4.0 on my machine. I upgraded my father's machine to
woody, and it gave me a world of troubles as I lost the ISDN
connection, X and sound. But now I have gotten all back. Except
that I would now like to setup X 4.0 for him and setup an alsa module
to handle the sound (the ESS SOLO1 has been a little troublesome
earlier with 2.2.15, but it seems better now with .18pre21) But I got a
lot of problems after installing the alsa modules. depmode was
complaining greatly about unresolved things. Is there any point in
spending time on the ALSA modules at this point?

Is there a tool for setting up X 4.0, I can only find the tools for
3.3.6 on my computer and looking at the repository I cannot say I can
find any packages that sticks out as being the one I need to install.

Thanks in advance.

PS: On all the machines I have installed Debian I have gotten problems
with the combination X and GPM, isn't it time to drop GPM at startup and
let those who only wants the console set it up themselves with rcconf? I
reckon they are less newbie than those who use X.

--
Preben Randhol ---------------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
+---+ "There was, I think, never any reason to  believe in any innate
| ! |  superiority of the male, except his superior muscle."
+---+      -- Bertrand Russell, Ideas That Have Harmed Mankind (1950)