Re: cdr recomendations

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 17:21:21 +1030 (CST)
David Purton <dcpurton@chariot.net.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of buying a cd writer.
>
> The howto suggests that most ide drives should work fine with Linux.
>
> But I was just wondering what modals people have had good results with
> and
> more importantly if there are any to avoid.

I have recently installed a CDRW drive on my machine. I chose a Philips
CDRW800, a 4x 8x 32x drive. It is IDE and Linux needs to see CDR drives as
SCSI - so a little configuring of the kernel and a couple of lines in
/etc/lilo.conf was all it took. I now have both my CD-ROM and CDRW drives
recognised as SCSI and the Linux software (especially XCDRoast) works very
well indeed. As long as you are OK compiling a kernel you should have no
problem at all with an IDE drive.

Does anyone know of any software for Linux like Adaptec's which allows you
to to use a CDRW disk as if it were a hard drive? ie. being able to add
and remove data at will?

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux 2000