Re: Setup of X 4.0 and ALSA

Hello!

I neither have woody nor X4.0 but I think I can give you some hints on the
alsa issue. It does a good job at my machine with an ESS card. I compiled it
myself. For doing this, you need the sources of your kernel in
/usr/src/linux. Then download the alsa sources from www.alsa-project.org.
You need alsa-driver, alsa-lib and alsa-utils. There are scripts included in
these which compile the sources and produce rpm packages automatically. I
called them and then converted the rpms to debs using alien. The resulting
debs are really fine, after I installed them I found a whole bunch of alsa
soundcard modules in my modules directory, and I just configured them by
using modconf. There's also a kind of setup utility included in alsa but I
think I just didn't need it and gave the proper module parameters directly
in modconf. See www.alsa-project.org about the proper parameters and about
the module name which is right for your soundcard - and don't forget to
install the OSS emulation modules, of course. And you mustn't forget to
unmute the devices by using alsamixer or for example the kde mixer before
you want to listen to music because all devices are muted by default if you
use alsa. At my machine, the kde2 mixer unmutes them at kde startup - I only
had to unmute them once.

If you can get the soundcard to work by using oss or kernel-included
modules, then better don't spend time on setting up alsa. If the drivers
included in the kernel distribution aren't working properly, alsa is surely
worth a try - especially because you can create the debs quite easily.

Kind Regards,

Stephan Hachinger