Re: IRQ: how to find out which is to be used?

To find which IRQ a ISA PnP card is using, you need to use the ISA PnP tools. I think it might even be installed with a default debian setup.

run "pnpdump" and it will scan for cards and tell you everything you need to know about the device to get it running.

Of course refer to the manfiles (man pnpdump ; man isapnp) or the isapnp website http://www.roestock.demon.co.uk/isapnptools/

Here is part of the results pnpdump returns for me (I have one ISA NIC)

(CONFIGURE PNP0060/5931815 (LD 0
#     Compatible device id PNP80d6
#     Logical device decodes 10 bit IO address lines
#         Minimum IO base address 0x0200
#         Maximum IO base address 0x03e0
#         IO base alignment 32 bytes
#         Number of IO addresses required: 32
# (IO 0 (SIZE 32) (BASE 0x0200) (CHECK))
#     IRQ 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12 or 15.
#         High true, edge sensitive interrupt
# (INT 0 (IRQ 3 (MODE +E)))
 (NAME "PNP0060/5931815[0]{NE2000 PLUG & PLAY ETHERNET CARD}")

If you just want to know the IRQ "(INT 0 (IRQ 3 (MODE +E)))" is all you need to find. My card is on IRQ 3.

At 12:39 PM 17/12/2000, Erik Steffl wrote:
ktb wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 03:25:56AM -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:
> >   I have internal modem (real one, it works, the question is not about
> > it and I know I should get external one:-) which acts as a serial port.
> > It is ISA PnP card, can use different IRQs.
> >
> >   My main question is: how do I find out which IRQ it uses using linux
> > tools?
> >
> >   the only way I can do it now is boot windows and peek into control
> > panel|system (btw it uses either 9 or 11)
> >

>         Have you taken a look at "dmesg" yet?  I know it shows the irq's
>         of my network cards.  Also you can "cat /proc/interupts".

  boot messages:

ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
ttyS02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

  so it's completely useless, it just sets it to 'standard' values, I
have to manually set it to proper IRQ (I put a line into
/etc/serial.conf)

  /proc/interrupts:

  the same, it just shows whatever I set. AFAIK it only shows actually
received interrupts, so unless I really use the modem it wouldn't show
anything, and to use modem I need to know interrupts.

  isn't there a way to find that out? I don't know how windows do it but
they are able to figure it out somehow.

        erik